Walking is one of the best ways to travel more actively, get healthier and it is free. As the winter sets in we have compiled a list of tips to help you keep walking in the in the colder months.
1. Check the weather to see if it is going to be wet whilst you are walking, if it is, make sure you are wearing adequate clothing i.e. a waterproof jacket, adequate shoes or trainers and waterproof trousers.
2. Keep warm with a beanie hat and gloves.
3. Be careful not to layer up too much so you don’t overheat or get too cold.
4. Take a spare change of clothing to change into when you get to your destination.
5. If you are going for a long walk, take some water and healthy snacks with you.
6. If there is the possibility of ice on the ground, keep your eyes open and avoid any potential icy spots and moss on the ground.
7. Allow more time for your commute so you are not rushing in wet and slippery weather conditions.
8. Carry an umbrella with you if it is forecast to rain.
9. Take extra care when crossing roads as there is often lower visibility during the winter months.
10. Keep your belongings safe in a waterproof bag or wrapped in a reusable plastic bag.
Remember to stay safe whilst walking at all times but please be extra vigilant during the winter months. Stay safe and keep walking!